11 Steps To Follow If A Victim Of An Accident
- ALWAYS STAY CALM – Stay calm at the accident scene. Make sure the accident scene is safe and that all people are out of the way of potential danger.
- MEDICAL ATTENTION – If any one is injured call an ambulance immediately. Stop any bleeding but do not move any person if you feel it may cause more injury. Keep any injured person calm and wait for trained medical personnel.
- PROTECT THE ACCIDENT SCENE – Always keep in mind that any accident scene can cause a dangerous situation for other accidents. If this is an automobile accident, place cones or flares if you have them and ask any motorists who have stopped to help if they will direct traffic around the scene.
- ALWAYS CALL THE POLICE – Call the police and wait for them to arrive. Ask the officers to make a report. Be calm and tell the police the correct facts of how the accident happened. Cooperate fully with the officers. Be polite.
- GATHER INFORMATION – Get the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all witnesses. Make a note of any comments made by the other driver or any witnesses.
- SEE YOUR DOCTOR – Many times injuries from an automobile accident do not result in immediate pain. Injuries to muscles and other tissues d not start hurting for hours. When this happens go to a doctor or hospital immediately. A delay in seeking medical care can cause more injury to you. If there is a slightest chance you are injured, seek medical care.
- CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY – Report the accident to your insurance company and cooperate with your agent. Ask you agent if you are covered by Personal Injury Protection (PIP). Tell your lawyer if you are.
- REPORT THE ACCIDENT – You should always call the police but if for some reason they do not come to the scene, you should still report the accident. Ask the police or your insurance agent for a BLUE FORM. You should fill this out and return it to the police agency within ten days of the accident. If not, there will be no record that the accident happened.
- IF YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED CALL A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY – Ask for the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney. You can contact the personal injury attorneys at The Gerardo Cantu Law Firm, P.C. for advice and representation for you injuries and damages.
- UNDERSTAND YOUR RIGHTS – You should always know your legal rights in order to protect yourself. DO NOT give a statement, in person or recorded on the phone, to the other party’s insurance company. When the adjuster calls, tell them NO and contact The Gerardo Cantu Law Firm, P.C.. We will help you.
- TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS – Always take as many photographs of the situation and injuries as you can. It is best to use a digital camera. You can use a cell phone camera if that is all you have. Remember – “A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words”.
Accident cases can be complex, so you should not delay. You should act immediately and contact the Houston, Texas injury attorneys at The Gerardo Cantu Law Firm, P.C. today with any questions that you have. Our personal injury attorneys and staff are always here to help you at every step of your case. We value the confidence you place in us and we will do everything possible for you and your family. Our goal at The Gerardo Cantu Law Firm, P.C. is to give each of our clients the highest qualify legal advice and services to protect your rights. Let our team of experts work for you.